- Autoimmune Disorders in Women Possibly Triggered by Seafood
- FDA Approves Noninvasive Colorrectal Cancer Test
- FDA Approves Limited Use of Drug for Ebola
- FDA Approves Edwards Lifesciences Corporation’s Sapien XT
- Lymphoseek Injections Approved by FDA for Prolonged Extended Use
- Orexigen Therapeutics’ Contrave Awaits FDA’s Nod
- FDA Expressed Concern on E-Cigarette Smoking after Increase in Complaint Rate
- E-Cigarette Marketing to Be Regulated by FDA Appealed As They Pose Serious Threat to the Youth
- FDA Goes Tough on Honey with Added Sweeteners
- Is Your Honey Adulterated?
Caffeine May Reduce Tinnitus Risk
- Updated: August 11, 2014
A recently published study has linked a lower risk of contracting tinnitus and drinking coffee.
This study, for once, does not have a caveat of moderation. Unless drinking 5 cups per day of coffee is moderate.
The study tracked more than 65,000 women over a period of 18 years. Those who were coffee drinkers had a lower risk of developing ringing ears or tinnitus.
As to why, the researchers are not clear on how the caffeine helps. One researcher said they know that caffeine stimulates a person’s central nervous system, while research previously has shown that caffeine can directly affect the inner ear in both animal and bench science studies.
The researchers also added that further evidence was needed to make any form of recommendation about whether adding caffeine would help improved the symptoms of tinnitus.
Like with all things that are good, this also could have serious drawbacks. There are guidelines from the Mayo Clinic for people that have over five cups of coffee daily. It may can irritability, tremors, insomnia and nervousness.
The reducing of ringing in the ears might not be worth the side effects it might cause.
Close to 10% of Americans, suffer from tinnitus every year. For someone who has never suffered from it, think of ringing inside your ear with no known reason.
The negative issues of caffeine said one researcher often go unrecognized because drinking coffee and having too much caffeine is acceptable socially and widely consumed.
While many individuals are able to drink caffeine all day without any harm, for some, the negatives effects are produces, a physical dependence takes over and drinking coffee can be difficult to stop.
Even though this could be beneficial to those suffering tinnitus, a medical care provider should be consulted first due to the drawbacks of having too much caffeine.