News on Wellness

Women Are Recommended To Continue Taking Antidepressants Even When They Are Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding

New mothers and women who are soon to have a baby usually restrict themselves from any medication fearing it might affect the development of their child. New studies have proven that women who take anti depressants should continue to medications as they are better off taking them. The research presented at the 18th annual conference of Perinatal Society of Australia and New Zealand confirms that antidepressants control post partum depressions and ensures women to successfully breast feed their infants.
Breastfeeding
The scientists from the University of Adelaide have analyzed the data of 368 women from the Danish National Birth Cohort, who were on antidepressants before pregnancy. The team observed that two thirds of the women around 67% of them had stopped taking antidepressants after becoming pregnant or during breast feeding. The rest one third of them around 33% only continued the medication throughout pregnancy and even after having their baby. The first group of women was unable to continue breast feeding within the first six months. However the other group of women maintained breast feeding for the recommended six months and even beyond that.

Dr. Grzeskowiak, of the Robinson Research Institute has confirmed that the amount of anti depressants in blood is so low that it hardly affects the baby. However, the research says that there are proven health benefits for both mother and baby who continue breast feeding. It outweighs the risk to baby if any from consuming regular antidepressant pills.

Women often struggle with deciding which medications are safe and which are not to be taken, during pregnancy and lactation. Postpartum depression in women covers a wide possibility of disorders which may affect her routine activities. Anti depressants are a precaution to insomnia, irritability, mood swings, anger, fatigue, withdrawal and severe mental stress. Women on antidepressants should be encouraged by health officials and family to continue their dosage as continuing breast feeding is more beneficial both for the mother and her child.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *